CamperMate’s goal is to provide our users with the most trustworthy freedom camping app available. We think you should be able to explore our beautiful country without having to worry about Freedom Camping Fines.
CamperMate Freedom Camping Fine Guarantee
To put our money where our mouth is, we’ve set aside a fund to pay CamperMate app users’ Freedom Camping Fines. So that you can understand the process, here are some simple guidelines.
We will pay your Freedom Camping Fine directly to the local council or relevant enforcement authority within 10 working days provided that:
- You received an Infringement Notice because you relied on materially incorrect information on our App;
- You notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours from when you are deemed (under the Act) to have been served the Infringement Notice.
- Your correspondence includes all of the following information:
- an image of the Infringement Notice that we can read (either a scan or photo)
- the name of the campsite
- a screenshot of the incorrect information provided on the App that you relied on
- a brief explanation of which information in the app that you relied on. Please include how it resulted in an Infringement Notice being issued to you.
- we receive your information within 48 hours from when you are deemed (under the Act) to have been served the Infringement Notice.
- you had the latest version of the App installed at the date and time of the infringement offence. Having the latest version of the app installed will ensure that the data you’re viewing is up to date. You can check that your app is up to date by clicking here.
If you do not meet all of the criteria above, we won’t be able to pay your Freedom Camping Fine!
Also, if possible, please provide:
- The enforcement officer’s name
- Enough detail on the Infringement Notice to clearly set out the nature of the infringement and that you relied on information available on our App
We will not be able, nor be liable, to reimburse you for any Freedom Camping Fine that has already been paid. This includes where it has been charged or debited from your credit card or another account, by a Rental Company. This is because we would be unable to query or dispute the Infringement Notice before the Freedom Camping Fine has been paid.
However, if you send a request with the above information, we will see what we can do for you!
PLEASE NOTE: This Freedom Camping Fine Guarantee applies to individual users of the CamperMate app only. It is not available for companies (including any Rental Company).
Terms used but not defined herein shall have the meaning given to them in the Act.
Act means the Freedom Camping Act 2011;
“The app” means our CamperMate App;
Infringement Notice means an infringement notice issued under the Act that sets out the Freedom Camping Fine;
Freedom Camping Fine means a fine payable under an Infringement Notice.
… under section 20(1)(a) or section 20(1)(c) of the Act for freedom camping or preparing to freedom camp in a local authority area in breach of any prohibition or restriction in a bylaw made by a local authority under section 11 of the Act that applies to that area; or
under sections 20(1)(g) or 20(1)(j)of the Act for freedom camping or preparing to freedom camp on conservation land in breach of any prohibition or restriction in a freedom camping notice that applies to that land, but for no other prohibited or restricted activity;New Zealand Freedom Camping Act 2011
Fund means the amount set aside by CamperMate as a company specifically for valid claims.
Rental Company means the holder of a rental service licence under the Land Transport Act 1998 or any other company or person that is the owner of the vehicle that is the subject of the Infringement Notice.
we, us, our, etc., means CamperMate.
If you have any questions, please contact us via email, or during business hours phone 0800 839 797
Download the free CamperMate App